[Paraview-developers] how to build a re-distributable linux plugin (.so)

Chiranjib Sur sur.chiranjib at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:44:52 EDT 2015

Hi All,
I am trying to create a plugin with an intention to use with Paraview in
any machine (just by loading the .so file from Tools>Manage Plugins..).
To do that, I need to build the .so file without any hard link.

Can anyone tell me how to do that ? There might be an answer from the
earlier mailing list archive. If so, kindly point me towards that.

I am following the following steps :
1. Download ParaView-4.3.1 (git clone..)
2. Create a build directory
3. Add my plugin under Examples/Plugins
4. Run cmake from the build directory
5. Run make for my plugin and a .so is created (e.g. : named as :
myplugin.so)

This myplugin.so contains hard link to different locations linked to my
system/userID which I want to remove  so that the .so file become portable
and loaded from any machine with same level of system software.

Thanking you in advance for the help.

Chiranjib