[Paraview-developers] building a 'stair' shaped grid

tacana nthl.collard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 19:59:31 EDT 2014

Hi everyone,

I am a new Paraview user and the following question might seem quite simple
for advanced users but here it goes:

I would like to build a grid which has a 'stair' shape. For example, the
grid would have
6 blocks symbolized by the following figure:

XX
XXX

Initially I was thinking to use the following vtk file format:

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
scalar data
ASCII

DATASET STRUCTURED_GRID
DIMENSIONS    1  3  3
POINTS    6 float
0.5000E+02 0.5000E+02 0.5000E+02
0.5000E+02 0.5000E+02 0.1500E+03
0.5000E+02 0.5000E+02 0.2500E+03
0.5000E+02 0.1500E+03 0.5000E+02
0.5000E+02 0.1500E+03 0.1500E+03
0.5000E+02 0.1500E+03 0.5000E+02

POINT_DATA      6
SCALARS   scalars  float
LOOKUP_TABLE default
1
2
3
4
5
6

The X-direction is just for giving a volume to my blocks, but it is not
really considered.

What would be the right values to use for the 'DIMENSIONS' of the grid since
it is not a regular shape?
Am I using the correct type of grid: STRUCTURED_GRID ?

Many thanks in advance!

Best,

Tacana