[Paraview-developers] ghost cells in parallel reader

Favre Jean jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Sep 11 15:51:39 EDT 2014

Hello

I have developed a parallel reader for a custom HDF5 format providing a single structured mesh. I am using version 4.2 RC1, i.e. the syntax of the new pipeline. It distributes my sub-extents very well and I can see my full data.

Things get out of hands (crash) when I try to do a contour with normals, i.e. requesting ghosts. My reader sees the request for ghost-level and then crash. I have not been able to find the source code of a parallel reader where the part handling ghosts is not commented out. I mean they don't check outInfo->Has(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_GHOST_LEVELS()). Can you point me to a working reader example?

My understanding is that I am not supposed to create and add the vtkGhostLevels array. The pipeline does that on my behalf, right? So when the pipeline asks me for a level of ghost cells, I get extents that are augmented by +/- 1 in each direction. Is it assuming that I can always fulfill the request?

Thanks for any tip on the subject.

Jean/CSCS