[Paraview-developers] Mesa rendering with Gallium

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 02:15:16 EDT 2014

Jean,

What are you using for a test case?

The speed up is highly data and algorithm dependent. Mesa's fragment
shaders are threaded but vertex shaders are not so results depend on how
the work is distributed between the vertex ops and fragment ops. The LIC
is a rare algorithm where fragment shaders do a lot of work and hence
threading helps it.

For typical ParaView use case where you expect some massive dataset with
a lot of vertices rendered through the fixed function pipeline the
threading isn't a huge win. Gallium is a big win over the old mesa in
general though.

You may insert a printf in the mesa sources to verify that it's picking
up the enviroment variable.

Burlen