[Paraview-developers] Paraview architecture

Joachim Pouderoux joachim.pouderoux at kitware.com
Mon Nov 24 09:10:07 EST 2014

Boris,

In the 3D View, and depending on the Render View settings, the client may
render the geometry (that is the external surface) of the datasets that it
receives from the server using OpenGL, or it can receive and display the
images (remote rendering) generated by the server. With the first mode, the
interaction is performed locally with some VTK graphical pipelines (camera,
interactors, rendere, etc.); when the rendering is performed remotely, the
client sends the local camera properties to the server so it can generate
images from the correct viewpoint.

So depending the mode, the raw surface geometry can be transfered or some
compressed images (different compression techniques are available, see
Settings / Render View panel).

Some other views (eg. 2D plots) may have different behaviour and might
require the full dataset to be transfered from the server to the client for
display/analysis (in this case, this will not scale of course : eg. if you
plot a huge UnstructuredGrid within a Line Plot view after applying the
Plot Data filter)...

Hope it helps,

Joachim

*Joachim Pouderoux*