[Paraview-developers] mavericks -- duplicate symbol

moeinvaz moeinvaz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 11:04:57 EDT 2014

Hi,

It's my first time trying to develop on osx (mavericks).
I'm trying to compile paraview, but it gives me many
errors of 'duplicate symbol ...' when it gets to vtktiff.dir.

Doing a little bit of googling, I see some notes that this
is because of a change in mavericks replacing "static __inline__"
with "__header_always_inline". But, I haven't found the fix yet.

Some other notes suggest to install gcc through macports, which
I tried and installed 4.8. But, the same errors with "make
CC=gcc-mp-4.8".

I tried to compile VTK from source, but the same kind of errors.
In this regard, some notes suggest that it will be fixed on 6.1.0.
I can install VTK 5.10 through macports successfully though. There
is no 6.1 available on macports at this time.

However if I install paraview binaries, it seems to work fine
on mavericks. So, my question is: what is the trick to compile
paraview from source on mavericks?

Thank you for any pointers,
-AM