[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] [Paraview] color scale editor bugs, and missing luts

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Tue May 28 20:46:06 EDT 2013

Burlen,

·         I just took a quick look - including pv 3.14.0, 3.98.0, 3.98.1 and 4.0.0-rc, and could not find all of the lookup tables below.  The one I really looked for was Volcano (randomly chosen from the list).  Um ... are you sure they were ever there?

·         As for me, and I suspect most of my users, there are so many lookup tables that they are overwhelming.  I once had ParaView described by a power-user as "cockpit syndrome", and in many ways, the discussion to simplify the GUI in 4.0 was driven by this statement.  I think there is value having numerous LUT's, but not at the cost of overwhelming options and confusion.  Having numerous pages of LUTs is not useful, IMHO.

·         I did reorder the LUT back a version or so ago, trying to move the old, standby, commonly used LUT's to the top (they were at the bottom of pages of LUTs).  Also, someone did convert the LUT code from .cpp to XML.  Either event could have caused losses that I don't know about.

·         Since it is trivial to find numerous duplicates even in the current list, I assume these are just machine generated (or copied as a block), and not created due to any need by users.  Thus, are they all important?  If they are, could we at least sort them somehow, alphabetically, or by color, or, saturation, or something?  Just looking at the red/ black body LUTs, they are spread all throughout the table, thus making comparisons impossible.

·         Finally, if we do have pages of LUTs, I would recommend that we stick to the standard 10 or 20 shown by default, unless a user selects an Advanced button.  Then, the sky is the limit.

·         I would be willing to reorder the LUT to group like tables, and delete redundant ones, if we want.

Moving this discussion to the developers list, trying to keep the spam down.  Hope that was the right thing to do...

Just my $0.02.

Alan