[Paraview-developers] How to create a label map volume in ParaViewWeb?

Yuzheng Zhou yuzheng.zhou at kitware.com
Tue May 7 15:56:45 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I am working on a Midas workflow allowing users to visualize medical images
using ParaViewWeb (PVW as below) and segment them using Slicer. Currently I
am struck in a problem: how to create a label map volume in PVW, and need
help from ParaView developers.  This email is long and I really appreciate
your time reading it.

To do PDF segmentation in Slicer, it requires at least two volumes: the
input volume (the image to be segmented) and a label map volume
roughly outlining
the structures to be segmented.

In Slicer, the label map volume can be created using the “Paint” editor,
(check step 5
http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/TubeTK/InteractivePDFSegmenter#Tutorial_Steps).
But Midas only has a slice viewer supported by PVW python client. So I want
to know how to create the label map volume using PVW. Here are my current
thoughts:

step 1) let’s assume there are only two labels in the label map. All pixels
are labelled as 0 (background) initially. When a user starts painting
slice(s),  I can manually track mouse movements, capture the co-ords, map
them to pixels and label these pixels as 1. Can PVW get such collection of
pixels automatically?

step 2) how can I create the label map volume using the input volume and
the above label information using PVW?  I guess I have to create the label
map volume from scratch using VTK. But I also don’t know how to do it in
VTK.  Or there may exist an easier solution in PVW?

step 3) suppose I have got the label map volume in a vtkImageData object.
Do I need to convert it to a proxy object, or it can be saved to an image
file (.mha or .nrrd) directly via PVW?

Thanks a lot. I would very much appropriate any feedback or instructions
for any steps.

Yuzheng

--
Yuzheng Zhou