[Paraview-developers] ParaView plugins with MPI only on client

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Sun Jun 2 16:15:09 EDT 2013

I remember why I put the #ifdef win32 in.
On windows you can run paraview (client) without mpiexec, and call mpiinit and it will work ok but on linux it won't work. My patch should work without the "#ifdef win32" providing you start with mpiexec or aprun or whatever as Burlen noted. Because I keep hopping from one machine to another and forgetting which ones had which version compiled on, I decided to only do my simple testing on the windows box (I think!)

The main this is that you need to make sure the global communicator is initialized and set so that when  your filters do stuff using the global communicator (which is or was by default a dummy communicator when not using mpi).

The reason that the multi-core option doesn't work is because all it does is internally spawn N pvservers and connect to them silently - the client is still a serial process without mpi enabled or initted (is that a word?).

JB