[Paraview-developers] Axis title and range overrides

Michael Reuter reuterma at ornl.gov
Wed Feb 20 13:50:25 EST 2013

Hi,

     The axis title and axis range overrides as demoed by the sheared
cube source have been incorporated into our plugins and are working
nicely. There are just a few places where it would be nice to have this
information used that do not currently pay attention to the overrides.

     Two places are in the new Slice View. The default X, Y and Z axis
labels on the scale widgets should reflect the overrides if they are
present. This will keep thing consistent with what the cube axes show.
The second point is if the range overrides are used, the corresponding
axis scale should reflect that. This way the axis scale on the cube axes
and the view's axis scale widget will be consistent.

     The last place is editing the cube axes via the associated Edit
button on the properties panel for the cube axes. When the dialog pops
up, if the title overrides have been provided they do not show up in the
associated Title edit box. Also, if the overrides are used, when I try
an edit an axis title and click OK, the axis title it not updated to the
requested one. Handling this maybe tricky (source update resets to
default override), however the user will want the final say over the
axis title over the lifetime of the source and they may not change all
of axis titles as well.

     While I'm on the subject of axis titles (for the cube axes), are
there any plans to extend the matplotlib rendering to axis titles? It
looks really cool for all the other things that can support it.

Dr. Michael Reuter
Data Analaysis and Visualization Group
Neutron Data Analysis and Visualization Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Office: 1-865-241-7216
Fax: 1-865-574-6080
Email: reuterma at ornl.gov