[Paraview-developers] how to use QT signals/slots with filter plugin?

Joshua Murphy Joshua.Murphy at lasp.colorado.edu
Wed Apr 17 20:42:16 EDT 2013

Hello,
I am writing a custom filter that grabs data from NASA's CDA Web service using the RESTful protocols.  I am using QNetworkAccessManager for network interaction, and QXmlStreamReader for XML parsing.  This combination seems to be a completely non-blocking system.

My thought to make it work is to add a slot to my reader code to update filter information once the network communication is complete, but  I cannot figure out how to connect a signal from a network reader to my custom filter… everything I have tried doesn't seem to work.

I can set up connections within my network manager class just fine, but I cannot set up connections between my network manager and my primary filter itself.

I have tried adding my main filter header file to QT4_WRAP_CPP (and added Q_OBJECT macro to my class) and I get the following:

/Users/sysop/Developer/vtkModules/scinfo-build/moc_vtkSpaceCraftInfo.cxx:69:27: error: no member named 'staticMetaObject' in 'vtkTableAlgorithm'

{ &vtkTableAlgorithm::staticMetaObject, qt_meta_stringdata_vtkSpaceCraftInfo,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

/Users/sysop/Developer/vtkModules/scinfo-build/moc_vtkSpaceCraftInfo.cxx:87:31: error: no member named 'qt_metacast' in 'vtkTableAlgorithm'

return vtkTableAlgorithm::qt_metacast(_clname);

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

/Users/sysop/Developer/vtkModules/scinfo-build/moc_vtkSpaceCraftInfo.cxx:92:30: error: no member named 'qt_metacall' in 'vtkTableAlgorithm'

_id = vtkTableAlgorithm::qt_metacall(_c, _id, _a);

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^

3 errors generated.

make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/SpaceCraftInfoSMPlugin.dir/moc_vtkSpaceCraftInfo.cxx.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/SpaceCraftInfoSMPlugin.dir/all] Error 2

make: *** [all] Error 2

18:01:37: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.

Error while building/deploying project SpaceCraftInfo (kit: Desktop)

When executing step 'Make'

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, on how I might make this work, please let me know.

Thanks,
Josh