[Paraview-developers] [Paraview] ParaView GateKeeper Review Summary

Sebastien Jourdain sebastien.jourdain at kitware.com
Wed Nov 28 11:55:51 EST 2012

Hi Ken,

We assume that a developer that would have a branch in next or stage would
follow the gatekeeper review emails. And if his branch didn't get merged,
he has the opportunity to reply to the gatekeeper review e-mail.

But basically the reason why a branch will be kicked out of next would be
because the branch was not ready to be merged into master.
1) Meaning the gatekeeper is not aware that the branch should be merged
into master as no bug gatekeeper-review entry was created.
2) The branch has change the day the gatekeeper review happen. (In that
case such behavior may be unfair and we might merge automatically any
branch marked as gatekeeper-review automatically - but not promising
anything yet)
3) Maybe it was a dead branch used to exercise the dashboard on a given
topic but not meant to go to master.

Moreover, if a branch was not ready, it means that it needs more changes
which will imply a least a new push/merge. And after such push/merge it
will be easier to track any regression instead of summing up all the
regression that each branch may bring and then just ignoring them assuming
they are not related to your changes.

On top of that, we offer the developer to rewrite its history after each
gatekeeper review if a given topic was not merged to master.

If that seems too complex or too annoying for the community we can
certainly do what we used to do.

Thanks,

Seb