[Paraview-developers] Setup Eclipse

Rafael Kueng rafi.kueng at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 21 09:30:00 EDT 2012

Hi

can anybody give me a hand setting up eclipse (or code::blocks) on linux
(mint / ubuntu) be able to debug plugins for paraview?

(I was working with win and msvs before, but some changes to the code
made it necessary for me to switch to linux, win support was dropped)

What I did:

Got a linux, made sure all required libs are installed..

Build Paraview:
(basically following this site:
http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView:Build_And_Install)

- checkout pv to ~/src/ParaView
- ~/src/ParaView$ cmake-gui //generating Unix Makefiles, using the settings:
   + build dir: ~/bin/ParaView/3.14.0
   + BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on
   + CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Debug
- ~/bin/ParaView/3.14.0$ make -j 4

Build MyPlugin:
- checkout to ~/src/pv-astro
- cmake-gui //generating eclipse cdt4 - UnixMakefiles using settings:
   + Paraview_DIR: ~/bin/ParaView/3.14.0
   + CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Debug

- run eclipse, import the plugin as described here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/Eclipse_CDT4_Generator

- building doesn't work (ctrl+b)
- then i tried to set up the debugger of eclipse, I tried the following
settings:
- C/C++ App
  + main-tab: path: ~/bin/ParaView/3.14.0/bin/paraview
  + debugger-tab: gdb Debugger
and the same for
- C/C++ Attack to Application
but neither worked.. but to be honest, i've got no idea that i have to
do here...
it looks like it can compile, but launching fails:

An internal error occurred during: "Launching pv-astro-Debug_pv-astro-e
Configuration (1)".
java.lang.NullPointerException

Best
Rafael Kueng