[Paraview-developers] Grabbing tiled display output for network streaming

Paul Melis paul.melis at sara.nl
Thu Mar 15 06:47:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'd like to grab the rendered output from ParaView, specifically when
running in tiled display mode. The use case here is to run PV in
parallel on a render cluster in our data center, which then streams the
output over an optical network to a high-resolution tiled display. This
tiled display is actually used to show several image sources
side-by-side and uses the SAGE tiled display rendering framework.

We've been using some(body else's) code based on PV 3.8 that does the
above, by hacking into vtkIceTRenderManager to intercept the rendered
images and send them out over the network. I've been looking into
porting this to a more recent PV but I see the whole render
infrastructure has been overhauled to be based on VTK views and
representations.

I've been looking into the PV 3.14 code to see what would be the most
logical place to add code to intercept rendered images and send them
out, but I'm getting a bit lost. Any hint where to start hacking would
be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Paul