[Paraview-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: Dashboard question

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Mar 2 10:34:34 EST 2012

Ken

No. You are right. It's true that seeing all the small steps on the way to progress is useful. I do like rebasing when some of those small steps are just wrong and I want to replace them with the a correct step which is more sensible.

[I make a lot of temporary commits from the office PC to the laptop, to the cluster, just as a way of doing backups really so as I move around I can continue where I left off, and I don't want this crap to make it into a final version that joe public is using]. I just won't treat kitware/next as a normal branch. Only finished stuff should be ending up there anyway, but my first push was yesterday and somehow I still managed to munge it up despite all my careful preparation.

PPS. One solution to crazy ass coding and git blame is to document the stuff as you write it with handy comments explaining why you did this or that (controversial indeed)

JB