[Paraview-developers] Is it possible to animate representation properties?

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Fri Jun 29 10:55:47 EDT 2012

David,

Thanks for your response. I indeed can set the Opacity and Visibility
properties for the Surface representation in the animation controls.
In fact, this is what led me to believe that arbitrary representation
properties could be animatable.

However, it seems that Opacity and Visibility are special properties
handled independently from the normal XML animatable designation. This
code in Qt/Components/pqAnimatablePropertiesComboBox.cxx provides the
evidence:

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
void pqAnimatablePropertiesComboBox::addDisplayProperties(vtkSMProxy* proxy)
{
  if (!proxy || !proxy->IsA("vtkSMSourceProxy"))
    {
    return;
    }

  vtkSMSourceProxy* sourceProxy = static_cast<vtkSMSourceProxy*>(proxy);
  unsigned int numports = sourceProxy->GetNumberOfOutputPorts();
  for (unsigned int kk=0; kk < numports; kk++)
    {
    QString suffix;
    if (numports > 1)
      {
      suffix = QString(" [%1]").arg(sourceProxy->GetOutputPortName(kk));
      }

    this->addSMPropertyInternal(
      QString("%1%2").arg("Visibility").arg(suffix),
      proxy, "Visibility" , 0, true, kk);

    this->addSMPropertyInternal(
      QString("%1%2").arg("Opacity").arg(suffix),
      proxy, "Opacity", 0, true, kk);
    }
}

Also, in ParaViewCore/ServerManager/vtkPVRepresentationAnimationHelper.cxx,
visibility and opacity are handled specially:

void vtkPVRepresentationAnimationHelper::SetVisibility(int visible)
{
  if (!this->SourceProxy)
    {
    return;
    }
  unsigned int numConsumers = this->SourceProxy->GetNumberOfConsumers();
  for (unsigned int cc=0; cc < numConsumers; cc++)
    {
    vtkSMRepresentationProxy* repr = vtkSMRepresentationProxy::SafeDownCast(
      this->SourceProxy->GetConsumerProxy(cc));
    if (repr && repr->GetProperty("Visibility"))
      {
      vtkSMPropertyHelper(repr, "Visibility").Set(visible);
      repr->UpdateProperty("Visibility");
      }
    }
}

void vtkPVRepresentationAnimationHelper::SetOpacity(double opacity)
{
  if (!this->SourceProxy)
    {
    return;
    }
  unsigned int numConsumers = this->SourceProxy->GetNumberOfConsumers();
  for (unsigned int cc=0; cc < numConsumers; cc++)
    {
    vtkSMRepresentationProxy* repr = vtkSMRepresentationProxy::SafeDownCast(
      this->SourceProxy->GetConsumerProxy(cc));
    if (repr && repr->GetProperty("Opacity"))
      {
      vtkSMPropertyHelper(repr, "Opacity").Set(opacity);
      repr->UpdateProperty("Opacity");
      }
    }
}

Based on this, it looks like one can't animate arbitrary
representation properties.

I'm happy to see if I can add animation of representation properties
unless there is a good reason not to (I can't think of any).

Thanks,
Cory