[Paraview-developers] VTK data types representation

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Mon Jul 23 19:54:37 EDT 2012

Utkarsh,
I have been looking at initial representations for different data types, and have been looking at file pqPipelineRepresentation.cxx, function pqPipelineRepresentation::setDefaultPropertyValues().  At present the only dataset types that start being displayed as Surface are VTK_POLY_DATA, VTK_HYPER_OCTREE, VTK_GENERIC_DATA_SET, and 2d VTK_RECTILINEAR_GRID or VTK_STRUCTURED_GRID.  I would contend that we really want everything to start as a Surface, such as VTK_POLY_DATA, VTK_STRUCTURED_POINTS, VTK_STRUCTURED_GRID, VTK_RECTILINEAR_GRID, VTK_UNSTRUCTURED_GRID, VTK_PIECEWISE_FUNCTION, VTK_IMAGE_DATA (3D), VTK_DATA_OBJECT, VTK_DATA_SET, VTK_POINT_SET, VTK_UNIFORM_GRID, VTK_COMPOSITE_DATA_SET, VTK_MULTIGROUP_DATA_SET, VTK_MULTIBLOCK_DATA_SET, VTK_HIERARCHICAL_DATA_SET, VTK_HIERARCHICAL_BOX_DATA_SET, and VTK_GENERIC_DATA_SET

The reason this is coming up is that Wavelet always starts as Outline, as does all CTH AMR data.  I had thought that it was due to the dataset's size, but it is actually be design for these datatypes.  Thoughts?

I would make the mods myself, but don't really understand all of the VTK data objects.  Thus, I am thinking one of you guys should look at this.  These are found in vtkType.h.

Let me know what you think, and if you want me to do anything.  Thanks,

Alan

W. Alan Scott
ParaView Support Manager

GAITS