[Paraview-developers] How to modify GUI fields from within reader plugin

Michael Schlottke m.schlottke at aia.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Dec 7 09:34:48 EST 2012

Hi there,

Is it possible to modify GUI parameter fields (i.e. set invisible or disabled) for a custom ParaView reader plugin from within the plugin? And if yes, how can we do it?

Background:
We have several ParaView reader-type plugins that allow us to load and display data from our own file format. In the server manager xml we added a couple of parameters (mostly IntVectorProperties for some integer parameters, see also http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Plugin_HowTo#Adding_GUI_Parameters) that we use to select exactly which data should be loaded from the file.
Sometimes a certain property only makes sense if certain variables exist within the data file - something we can check (and already do) in the CanReadFile method. In order to make it clear to the user which fields are relevant and which are not, we would like to selectively disable ("grey out" or set invisible) certain properties if they do not make sense in a given context.

Any input on how to accomplish this, or any primer on where to get further information, would be very welcome!

Regards,

Michael