[Paraview-developers] MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_PIECES (was suspicious behaviour ...)

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Sep 8 10:55:20 EDT 2011

David, et al,

I need some advice on pipeline re-execution.

I've removed all the spurious pipeline re-execution problems I had, by simply stopping the NeedToExecute in the executives from ever saying yes based on ghost cells. However, I can't do the same for number of pieces.

I suspect that one reason my filters are crashing on massive data and causing issues on others is because paraview constantly triggers unnecessary executions when stuff hasn't changed.

My pipeline is essentially as follows (please view using wide window and courier font)

H5PartReader (reads N pieces, exports polydata)

ParticleRepartitionFilter (UG/polydata, redistributes particles across processes

and replaces ExtentTranslator with BoundsExtentTranslator, redistribution

is spatial (KdTree) and irregular - also adds scalar array to

denote ghost particles which are duplicated around process boundaries)

   |___________________

___                   V

|                    ImageGridSampler (creates a vtkImageData grid and uses the

|                    BoundsExtentTranslator to get the right extents for the piece

|                    this means we can get irregular subdivisions of space)

|           ________________|

V          V

SPHResampler (any datatype, resamples the particles using an SPH kernel onto

the vtkImageData provided by the image sampler - the use of the BoundsExtentTranslator

in the earlier stages ensures we have the data we want to reample on the right process

for the sampling geometry)

This bit works fine (on the desktop, but sometimes crashes on the cluster when running N=64 processes), ... but prompted by your suggestion, I threw in a volume renderer after the SPHResampler to view the resampled data as a volume.

This triggers a whole bunch of filter reexecutions, caused by updateNumberOfPieces(1) != dataNumberOfPieces(4) (4 being what I'd expect it to be not 1 which is just silly)

I have not yet identified who is setting the update pieces to 1, when all the rest of the pipeline is using 4, but I experimented with using wavelet sources and creating pipelines which were similar and I found that the problem was not unique to my setup.

I'd like to know if there is any rule to

NOT SET Maximum_number_of_pieces

NOT SET Any kind of piece information

YES SET Extent information etc

in particular kinds of filters.

By which I mean, image data generators should NEVER set maximum number of pieces? and piece extent translators etc etc. I'm looking for clues as to why my pipeline might misbehave, because debugging the executives is hard work and time consuming (particularly so since David completely buggered them up with all his fancy streaming stuff :) )

Any advice welcome.

JB

PS. I see that paraview has updated it's number scheme to 3.12 RCxxx : noting that Paraview only really works properly in serial, is this wise?