[Paraview-developers] delivering paraView based application to unsophisticated end user

Richard Strelitz strelitz at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 7 15:32:30 EDT 2011

I have been asked to develop a suite of seismic exploration tools based on
ParaView to geophysicists who are not computer savvy.  For the foreseeable
future, they will run these apps on workstations and laptops.  They do not
have nor do they intend to build ParaView, install C++ compilers, or do
anything more than run the app on their data.  I would like to use Python to
develop the app-specific codes (readers, filters, renderers, etc.) many of
which use matplotlib and other modules not provided in the pvpython
site-packages path.  I can install environments like those in pythonxy (my
preferred vehicle) or in any number of other similar packages.  Are the
packages in the current PV distribution unchanged from what one can download
from the standard repositories (like PiPy, etc.)?  How do I avoid
duplication of modules or worse, possible conflict?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Richard