[Paraview-developers] IceT

Paul Melis paul.melis at sara.nl
Mon Feb 14 07:53:47 EST 2011

I've been reading up on IceT and all the nice compositing strategies it
uses, based on the 2001 article by Kenneth et.al. (Sort-last parallel
rendering for viewing extremely large data sets on tile displays). I'm
trying to get a good mental picture of what IceT does and how it works.
A few questions:

* Does the 2001 article still give a good overview of IceT as used in
Paraview or have things changed considerably since then?
* Does IceT as used in Paraview pick its own compositing strategy based
on work-load and such? Or is the strategy fixed?
* It seems the bandwidth used for inter-node communication due to
compositing is quite high. E.g. table 1 in the article lists a network
usage of 213-340 MBytes per frame on the LNLL isosurface, when rendering
a 12 megapixel output image. Assuming the output image uses 3 bytes per
pixel that's a compositing data size that is roughly 6-9.5 times the
output image size. Is that a good estimate for the general case?

Thanks,
Paul