[Paraview-developers] ANN: ParaView 3.8.1 Available for download

Dave Partyka dave.partyka at kitware.com
Tue Sep 28 15:10:40 EDT 2010

Hello All,

The ParaView team is pleased to announce the availability of the ParaView
3.8.1 binaries for download on the ParaView download page.

http://paraview.org/paraview/resources/software.html

Release Notes:

ParaView 3.8.1 is a patch release over 3.8.0 with a a small set of
improvements. Some of noteworthy improvements/fixes are:

ParaView now comes HDF5 1.8.5. This enables developers to create
readers/plugins for ParaView that use newer versions of HDF5 easily. Also we
are now including the C++ and the high level (hl) versions of the libraryfor
those who wish to use their newer API.

Along the same note the version of NetCDF included in VTK has also been
upgraded to version 4.1.1 allowing users to take advantage of the latest
enhancements to NetCDF. Additionally the  C++ version of the library is now
also available.

Among the improvements are two new file formats. The first is a netcdf based
reader for MPAS format ocean and atmosphere data sets. The second, available
in source form only is a reader plugin that allows ParaView to read
multi-resolution wavelet compressed VAPOR data format files. Thanks to John
Clyne and Dan Legreca for contributing the VAPOR plugin.

We have improved the support for animation scripting through Python. The new
API is more coherant with the rest of ParaView Python API avoid the need for
script writers to know the minute details of how to create animations using
proxies. Tracing capabilies for animation were also revised.

GPU volume ray cast mapper for voxel datasets now works in tile display mode
as well.

In keeping with our on going improvements of the ParaView's charting
capabilities, we have included a few more fixes regarding labels and axes
placements.

We also cleaned up ParaView build and install rules so that developers don't
have to worry about 'rpath' anymore. Also "make install" has been vastly
improved on all platforms.

This release also includes a material interface extraction filter thattakes
a cell data volume fraction and generates a polydata surface. It also
performs connectivity on the particles and generates a particle index as
part of the cell data of the output. It computes the volume of each particle
from the volume fraction. The filter is accessible from the Material
Analysis category in the Filters menu.

Also, CoProcessing/in-situ processing has been added to ParaView.  It
includes 2 parts: a client side plugin that creates python scripts and a
server side library that can be called from a simulation code to output both
images and data sets based on the created python script. For more details go
to http://paraview.org/Wiki/CoProcessing.

Updated development installers will also follow shortly.

As always, we rely on your feedback to make ParaView better. Please use
http://paraview.uservoice.com/ or click on the "Tell us what you think" link
on paraview.org to leave your feedback and vote for new features.