[Paraview-developers] problems building plugins with dependencies

william johnson wjdev1234 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 18:38:20 EDT 2010

I cannot figure out why my custom plugin will not load.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

I am attempting to build a custom plugin for paraview.  This plugin make use
of some extra libraries (curl,cryptopp).  Since the required functionality
has already been developed and tested using msvc 2008, I have attempted to
modify the msvc project generated by using cmake on one of the example
plugins.

On Vista SP2 32 bit, using msvc 2008 express with ParaView-3.8.1 and
Qt-4.5.0, I was able to build and deploy the plugin without a problem.
However when trying to repeat this process using Qt-4.6.3 the plugin builds
but will not load.

The specific error is: "Load Error, Cannot load library {path to plugin}:
The specified module could not be found."
This error occurs as soon as any sources referencing the extra libraries are
added to the msvc project and the required headers and libraries are added
to the msvc project's properties.  This error occurs even when the generated
source files used to define the plugin's behavior have not been modified.

The dlls required have been moved into the directory with paraview.exe as
specified on the wiki to resolve similar problems.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem?

--William