[Paraview-developers] Variable number of inputs in a ParaView plugin

Federico Milano fmilano at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 13:13:44 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm developing a filter plugin for paraview that basically compares a
certain surface (a vtkPolyData) against a bank of other surfaces (a bunch of
STL files on a directory), and somehow marks the three surfaces in the bank
that better match the former surface. I'm wondering what would be the best
way to do it inside paraview. I have been thinking of these two
possibilities:

1) Load the bank in paraview before running the filter; in this case I would
need the filter to accept a variable number of inputs because I don't know
the size of the bank before it is loaded. I don't know if it is possible to
build a filter plugin that accepts a variable number of inputs...

2) Use as the input to the filter only my surface (loaded in paraview) and a
path to the directory where the bank of the other surfaces is located. Then
I would make the comparison in my plugin and return the three better matches
as outputs of the filter; I like a little bit more this option, but I don't
know how to open a directory browser from a ParaView filter plugin.

Any suggestions about this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Federico