[Paraview-developers] Casual Weekend Read: ProcessModule 2.0

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Jul 19 13:28:45 EDT 2010

>> The connections methods talk about sockets & TCP/IP.  What about other
>> connection types like SSL, HTTPS, MPI, or Portals.  They come up.
>
> Actually I hadn't thought of this. Maybe abstracting all transport in
> a TransportManager or something that can be swapped with
> implementations for different transports maybe a possibility.

Agreed.  (I was thinking something like ConnectionProtocol, but any name is
equally bad.)  At any rate this should be its own class hierarchy and
independent of ProcessModule, right?

> MPI? For client-server? I am not sure what you mean. The MPI for
> root-satellite communication will be managed by
> vtkProcessModuleConnection itself.

I was actually thinking of the case where you might be running two jobs on
the same high speed interconnect.  In that case, it would be faster to use
MPI to communicate between the two jobs rather than open a socket between
two nodes.  It's a stretch, and I don't really expect this ever to be
implemented (as opposed to, say, SSL, HTTP, or HTTPS), but an abstract
interface should be able to supported it nonetheless.

-Ken