[Paraview-developers] Changes to server manager xml format (pvsm)

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Tue Aug 15 10:06:55 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

I recently made some changes to the server manager that require changes to
server manager xml filters (pvsm). ParaView has been using the old way of
connecting objects in the pipeline:

filter->SetInput(source->GetGetOutput());

Although still supported, this way of connecting pipeline objects is no longer
recommended. The recommended way is:

filter->SetInputConnection(source->GetOutputPort());

I change the paraview engine (server manager) to use the recommended the way.
This has two impacts:

1. You have to change your server manager configuration files (pvsm). Input
properties that use SetInput, AddInput, SetSource etc. should be changed to use
SetInputConnection, AddInputConnection, SetSourceConnection etc. If you have
sources or filters that sub-class from one of the legacy classes (vtkSource,
vtkPolyDataSource, vtkPolyDataToPolyDataFilter etc.), you should convert it to
the new pipeline (sub-class from vtkAlgorithm, vtkPolyDataAlgorithm etc.).

2. vtkSMPart no longer keeps a reference to the data object (it is not a proxy
of the output). To get a proxy to the data object, use
vtkSMPart::GetDataObjectProxy(). Please make sure to read the documentation
before using.

Please make sure that you update your modules.

I have been working on multi-block and AMR support and this will cause other
changes as well. I will keep you updated.

-Berk