[Paraview-developers] Mathematical symbols in ParaView annotations

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Mon Sep 12 13:33:46 EDT 2005

At 9/11/2005 01:37 AM, Thompson, David C wrote:

>A while back, there was some discussion of how to
>include greek symbols, math symbols, etc. in ParaView's
>annotations. At that point, there seemed to be two
>problems:
>[...]
>It looks like both of those may be changing before the
>year is out; the STIX font project
>(<http://www.stixfonts.org/>http://www.stixfonts.org/)
>is developing a family of fonts for scientific publishing.
>They've just released their draft user/developer license and
>plan to have a "beta" release next month.
>
>They are still accepting comments on the license at this point,
>so I would like to know if there are any barriers to include
>the fonts with VTK/ParaView.

I guess no barriers, but careful testing on both the license and the
quality sides (hinting, alignment, etc). I   remember taking care of
adding the Freetype font engine in VTK a while back, and it took a
fair amount of time to find a set of free fonts, with a compatible
license. We ended up using some fonts contributed by URW specifically
for Kitware, and some fonts contributed by Bitstream to the XFree86
project. Since then, I've seen other free-font projects popping up
(like the "Free UCS Outline Fonts"), but none of them looked complete
enough to be worth replacing the current set of fonts we have in VTK
(say, for example, they would not provide an italic version of a
font, relying on the user to "slant" it manually, which is usually
not satisfactory).

Now more scientific symbols would be nice, so I will keep an eye on
this STIX project. For the moment, it does not seem like you can
download any of the fonts.

Sebastien

>If so, perhaps the license could
>be adjusted before it becomes permanent. So... any comments
>from Kitware?
>
>     Thanks,
>     David

Sebastien Barre