[Paraview-developers] Adding support for multiple types of extensions in vtkPVWriter?

Stanton, Eric T etstant at sandia.gov
Fri Sep 9 01:58:09 EDT 2005

Greetings,

I'd like to see if anyone objects to me committing a change so that you
can choose from different types of file extensions when saving data in
ParaView. My reasoning for doing this is because I have a need to be
able to save data back to the original file from which it was read. And
this can't always be done under the current scheme of only allowing one
extension per writer, if the file has an extension that IS supported by
the reader but not by the writer.

>From a code standpoint, the change will simply mimic what is currently
done in vtkPVReaderModule. The following files would be modified:

vtkPVWriter.h/.cxx - Add extension related methods like in
vtkPVReaderModule. Also add a CanWriteFile(char*) method that checks the
list of extensions against a filename
vtkPVXMLPackageParser.cxx - Change "extension" to "extensions"
Writers.xml - Change "extension" to "extensions", add list of possible
extensions
vtkPVWindow.cxx - Add a check for vtkPVWriter::CanWriteFile() change the
way the list of file extensions gets created

Eric Stanton
Sandia National Laboratories
Data Analysis and Visualization