[Openchemistry-developers] Google Summer of Code 2022

Geoffrey Hutchison geoff.hutchison at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:57:24 EST 2022

Dear Artiz,

Thanks very much for your proposal and interest in GSoC 2022! If you post your proposal on Google Docs or something that enables comments, I would be happy to make suggestions.

A few general suggestions.. At the moment, this reads like a collection of smaller tasks. Generally, Google prefers to see a larger arc to projects. So perhaps one way would be to say that you want to significantly improve Avo2 use for biomolecular simulation and editing?

You mention the surface work. I would definitely love to see surfaces and properties integrated this summer. That may be a larger part than you're currently allocating in your timeline depending on your coding experience. I can share some PDFs - Marc (from Barcelona - https://serk12.github.io <https://serk12.github.io/>) had hoped to work on this last year, but ran out of time.

There are some formats (e.g., SDF) which support zero-order bonds to indicate coordination (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci200488k <https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ci200488k>) - on the other hand, it seems like the examples you give are problems with hydrogen addition to nitrogen .. which may be an easier fix.

The background on perceiveBondsSimple and element parsing is great. We prefer that candidates submit at least one patch to show they understand GitHub, etc. .. which you've already done. I'd definitely appreciate the patches for those and/or any other small pieces as you finish them.

Anyway, thank you for the early interest - I would be happy to help you improve your proposal!

Best regards,
-Geoff

---
Prof. Geoffrey Hutchison