[Na-mic-project-week] invitation to join 19th project week at MIT, June 23-27, 2014

Tina Kapur tkapur at bwh.harvard.edu
Tue Apr 15 13:07:46 EDT 2014

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We hope you can join us for the *19th Project Week *at MIT from June 23
to 27, 2014.

For those who are new to this meeting, Project Week is a hands on
activity which includes programming using the open source tools and
toolkits like ITK, VTK, Slicer, OpenIGTLink, PLUS, QT, CMake, CDash (to
name a few),  algorithm design, and biomedical applications.   We are
now beginning active preparation for and invite you to join us by
teleconference any upcoming Thursday (details below). During these
calls, leading engineers and scientists from several NIH funded centers
will be available to discuss with you the project you are working on,
and then help determine how participation in this hackathon could help
you accomplish your goals. Some participants participate in one call,
others in 3 or 4 until their project team and plan is sufficiently
detailed so they know exactly what they will work on at MIT during the
Project Week. In the final days leading upto the meeting, all project
teams will fill in a template based wiki page that describes the
objectives and plan of their projects.

The event itself starts off with a short presentation by a
representative of each project team, driven using their previously
created description on the wiki, and allows all participants to be
acquainted in-person with others who are doing similar work. In the rest
of the week, about half the time is spent in breakout discussions on
topics of common interest for subsets of the attendees, and the other
half is spent in project teams, doing hands-on programming, algorithm
design, or clinical application of NA-MIC kit tools. The hands-on
activities are done in about ~30 small teams of size 3-5, each with a
mix of experts in open source software, algorithms, and clinical. To
facilitate this work, a large room at MIT is setup with several tables,
with internet and power access, and each team gathers on a table with
their individual laptops, connects to the internet to download their
software and data, and is able to work on their projects. On the last
day of the event, a closing presentation session is held in which each
project team presents a summary of what they accomplished during the week.
A summary of all past NA-MIC Project Events is availableat
http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/Project_Events#Past.

And now also for those who are familiar with the event:

1. a preliminary agenda is here:
http://wiki.na-mic.org/Wiki/index.php/2014_Summer_Project_Week#Agenda

2. please register via this webpage:
https://www.regonline.com/namic2014summerprojectweek
<http://www.regonline.com/namic2013summerprojweek>. Please note that as
you proceed to the checkout portion of the registration process,
RegOnline will offer you a chance to opt into a free trial of
ACTIVEAdvantage -- click on "No thanks" in order to finish your Project
Week registration. Registration Fee: $300 and spent on food for the week
(breakfast, lunch, two coffee breaks everyday).

3. Hotel: Similar to previous years, no rooms have been blocked in a
particular hotel.

4. As always, we are holding project planning conference calls
on Thursdays at 3pm ET.  Please join us any week.
 From the US: Toll-free number:  (866) 546-4138. Participant code:
5687046 (If you are calling from outside the US, please send a note to
Jim Miller millerjv at ge.com <mailto:millerjv at ge.com> for a
country-specific number to dial.)

5. All participants are encouraged to add a one-line title for their
planned project to the above wiki page ASAP and no later than Thursday,
May 22rd 2pm ET, and create a templated wiki page by Thursday June 12th.
  Again, if you are new to these events, send me a note and I will
follow up.

If you are new to these events, or need help figuring out whether
your project will be a good fit, or who should be on your project team,
please send me an email and I will follow up with you individually.
  If you are are a veteran of these affairs, you are more than welcome
to come to any/all calls.

If you know someone who is not already on the project week mailing list
already, please let them know that they are welcome to join at:

Looking forward to hearing back from many of you soon,

Best Regards,
-Tina

--
Tina Kapur, PhD