[Midas] ParaView Web support for Midas

Zach Mullen zach.mullen at kitware.com
Thu Oct 17 13:54:30 EDT 2013

Hi Brian,

Answered your questions inline.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM, BRIAN E CHAPMAN <Brian.Chapman at utah.edu>wrote:

>   Patrick,
>
>  That saved a lot of time! A couple of dummy questions. In
> /var/www/midas/modules there is already a pvw directory. So where am I
> supposed to create the symbolic link to $PARAVIEW_ROOT/lib/paraview-4.0/www?

You should create a symlink at /var/www/midas/modules/pvw/public/import,
and it should point to the paraview-4.0/www dir.

>  Also, just because I'm kind of dense, do I need to set the DISPLAY
> environment variable. The pop-up help says "If the DISPLAY env var should
> be set…" I don't know if it should be.

It depends what environment you are running in. If you plan on running this
headlessly as a server, you will probably need to set the environment
variable. If you are running the server within an already existing X
environment, you probably won't need to set it. If you open a terminal and
type

echo $DISPLAY

It will show you the current value of your display ID.

>  Finally, is there a tutorial or demo for the Midas/ParaView interface?

We just finished transitioning the demo application to the latest version
of ParaViewWeb. The demo of the old capabilities is here:
http://50.58.123.185/external/midas/visualize/paraview/volume?itemId=44

There isn't much currently in the way of developer-oriented documentation
for the module; for that you might have to just consult us with your
questions :)

Thanks,

>  Thanks for the help.
>
>  Brian
>

>   From: Patrick Reynolds <patrick.reynolds at kitware.com>
> Date: Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:12 AM
> To: Brian Chapman <Brian.Chapman at utah.edu>
> Cc: "midas at public.kitware.com" <midas at public.kitware.com>
> Subject: Re: [Midas] ParaView Web support for Midas
>
>   Brian,
>
>  You'll need to build Paraview Web from Source or download binaries. It
> comes with paraview, so you should be able to follow the instructions
> stemming from this wiki page:
>
>  http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaViewWeb
>
>  HTH.
>
>  --
>  Patrick Reynolds
> Technical Leader
> Kitware, Inc.
> 919 869 8848
>
> On Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM, BRIAN E CHAPMAN wrote:
>
>   Hello Midas World,
>
>  I'm trying to build an instance of Midas with ParaviewWeb enabled. I'm
> working on an Ubuntu 12.04 instance. Midas built fine, but I'm having a
> difficult time getting Paraview to build. Just curious if the
> paraview-python package that is available in the ubuntu distribution is
> sufficient for this purpose? If it is, curious about the details of the
> configuration for the instructions: "Make sure to symlink the www directory
> of your ParView build directory…"
>
>  I'm suspicious of the package since when I try to run pvpython I get an
> error:
>
>  "Error converting executable file "/usr/bin/../lib/paraview/pvpython" to
> real path: no such file or directory"
>

>  Brian E. Chapman, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor
> Department of Radiology