[Midas] saving file in Midas metadata

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Thu Jun 28 15:48:52 EDT 2012

Hi Mona,

You can store metadata at the time of creating an item by passing a param
starting with underscore.

We use a triple *(Element, Qualifier, Value)* for our metadata, and this
method will set the *Element* and *Value*, but leave a blank string as the *
Qualifier*.

So if you are creating an item, and pass *_SeriesId=6* as a parameter to
the *midas.item.create* method, that item will have metadata of

*(SeriesId, '', 6)*

You can always use the *midas.item.setmetadata* api call to add further
metadata to an item, or to record an Element, Qualifier and Value.

*midas.resource.search *will return *Items*, *Folders*, *Communities*, and *
Users*.  I know our search capabilities are under active development now,
so I'll defer to someone else on the answer for whether that works (or will
soon work) on searching metadata.  That method does search on name and
description.

Thanks,
Mike

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Mona Wong <mona at sdsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi:
>
>        How do I programmatically store metadata into Midas?
>
>        I see the web API has midas.item.getmetadata and there is also
> midas.resource.search but midas.item.create doesn't seem to take a metadata
> argument.  By the way, does midas.resource.search search for metadata or
> something else?  Is a file consider a resource or does
> midas.resource.search return other types of objects
>
> Mona

>    Mona Wong
>    Web & iPad Application Developer
>    San Diego Supercomputer Center