[Midas] writing my own module

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Fri Jun 22 16:54:31 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Mona Wong <mona at sdsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Michael:
>
> Please keep this list updated as to your progress/problems/design
> direction and we will do our best to assist you.
>

> Will do and thank you very much!  Patrick has asked me to keep track of my
> questions (and answers, if I find them) during this process.  I have 4
> already and will continue to add to it.
>
> Can you tell me a bit more about the Annotation functionality if it isn't
> too much trouble.
>

> Sure, it is a web-based application written in HTML5 & canvas to annotate
> images using an ontology.  We would like this app to be launchable from
> Midas for authorized users and save their annotations ( saved in XML) back
> to Midas.  We plan to post-process this XML so users can search for
> annotations.
>
> Here are a couple of screen shots:
>

> Will you be visualizing slices or 3D volumes?
>

> We have 3D volume data and also DICOM data files.  The python script will
> convert the data in these files to encoded PNGs, slice by slice.  Then
> annio will display the images and allow users to annotate.
>
> What kind of annotations will you be adding (points, lines, planes, region
> of interest, etc) ?
>

> It currently can do point, circle, open and closed polygon annotations.
>
>  Has this application already be written/deployed?
>

> I am working on it right now and hoping to demo it in 3 weeks for our
> yearly meeting...with the Midas part working (:
>
> My first Midas question is about the HTML5/canvas application.  Where do
> you see this being displayed?  Is it something you would like to run in a
> separate tab/browser window that you'd link to via the annotate action,
> something you'd like to run within Midas but using the Midas default layout
> (so it would run in the central content pane within the Midas layout, the
> SubMainContent div, which is where the message was displayed in my example
> module), or within Midas but using a custom layout?
>

> Hmm, I was originally thinking #1 but all your options sound good.  I
> think from the users' point of view, running inside Midas will be more
> intuitive for them.  From Midas' perspective, which way is best?  Which way
> is easiest?

This will create some new challenges, since we have never had a plugin that
included non-Midas content before within Midas (at least that I am aware
of).  We will enjoy working through the options with you.

My opinion is that you are best off launching your application in a
separate tab/window, especially given that you have a 3 week deadline, as
this is the easiest.  Then after that is working, you could look to
integrate it in with the Midas display, which would give your users a more
coherent experience.

Just from a UI perspective, I'd suggest doing it in an overlay page
launched from Midas, since Midas has a lot going on with the UI as does
your application, so it might be confusing to present them both, one inside
the other.  You'll need to think through how to start Annio, pass control
to it, exit (or at least stop displaying Annio), send messages back to
Midas, and pass control back to Midas.

Good Luck,
Mike

> Also, in case you weren't aware of this, we have a Python client library
> called Pydas for communicating with a Midas server instance.
>

> Thank you for the info.  Brian, who wrote the python processing script,
> has been using your Pydas library (:
>
> cheers,
> Mona
>  *********************************************