[Midas] looking into MIDAS for Old Dominion's Data Management Plan... questions vs MIT DSpace and others

Audette, Michel A. maudette at odu.edu
Fri Jun 22 12:04:59 EDT 2012

Dear Midas users,

I am a former Kitware employee, now at Old Dominion University, and I've been asked to take part in a committee to come up with a Data Management Plan, in compliance with requirements for NSF and NIH proposals. We are looking at a number of competing solutions, all of them apparenty open-source: MIDAS, MIT's DSpace, and Fedora Commons.

Can anyone comment on
1) how these competing options compare to each other, i.e. pros and cons of each?
2) in the event that these competing options have different strengths, is it possible to exploit two or more, and exploit their complementarity (i.e.: are these solutions inter-operable?)?

Thanks for your kind consideration.

Best wishes,

Michel Audette, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
Department of Modeling, Simulation and Visualization Engineering,
Old Dominion University,
Norfolk, VA.