[Midas] writing my own module

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Thu Jun 21 11:38:23 EDT 2012

This sounds like very interesting work.  Please keep this list updated as
to your progress/problems/design direction and we will do our best to
assist you.  Can you tell me a bit more about the Annotation functionality
if it isn't too much trouble.  Will you be visualizing slices or 3D
volumes?  What kind of annotations will you be adding (points, lines,
planes, region of interest, etc) ?  Has this application already be
written/deployed?

My first Midas question is about the HTML5/canvas application.  Where do
you see this being displayed?  Is it something you would like to run in a
separate tab/browser window that you'd link to via the annotate action,
something you'd like to run within Midas but using the Midas default layout
(so it would run in the central content pane within the Midas layout, the
SubMainContent div, which is where the message was displayed in my example
module), or within Midas but using a custom layout?

Also, in case you weren't aware of this, we have a Python client library
called Pydas for communicating with a Midas server instance.  You can see
the source code here:

https://github.com/midasplatform/pydas

and install this via *pip* or *easy_install*.

Here is some documentation, but feel free to ping the list about it as well.

http://pydas.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html

Thanks,
Mike

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Mona Wong <mona at sdsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Michael:
>
> Thank you very much for the example code!
>
> I'm trying to write a module, launchable by the user, which will run a
> python script on the server to do some processing and then start a
> HTML5/canvas application, also on the server.
>
> We are thinking that the user will login, navigate to their DICOM files,
> then click on an "Annotate" action item (perhaps right below the "View"
> link) on the right side which will launch our module:
>

> This is my first Midas module although I am familiar with PHP, have worked
> with CakePHP and Drupal.
>
> Your pointers/help are greatly appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> Mona
>

> On Jun 20, 2012, at 3:55 PM, Michael Grauer wrote:
>
> Hi Mona,
>
> It is probably best to create a module by starting a bit simpler than the
> Helloworld example, as that includes some models which can be confusing,
> and also the models are called Hello, so you end up with lines like
>
> Helloworld_HelloModelBase extends Helloworld_AppModel
>
> which is even more confusing to me and would probably be troublesome for
> global search and replaces.
>
> I have whipped up a very simple example module that I'm attaching here.
>  If you gunzip and untar it in your modules directory, you can add it to
> your Midas instance.  The module doesn't do much, but you can turn it on
> from the Administrative menu and then go to
>
> http://localhost/midas3/example/index
>
> (assuming you are working on your localhost) and see a message.
>
> This way you have a bit clearer of a starting point for your own module.
>  If you want to add in a web api, you can see the dicomextractor module as
> an example, which is a module that doesn't include any models.  If you want
> to see some example models, try looking at the communityagreement module,
> which has a simple model.
>

> I hope this gets you on your way.
>
> -Mike
>

>     *********************************************