[Kwiver-users] KWIVER Docker Usage: KWIVER_PLUGIN_PATH

Matt Leotta matt.leotta at kitware.com
Fri Sep 4 14:09:53 EDT 2020

Bane,

He was referring to turning on FFmpeg in CMake at build time.  So I think a
new Docker image needs to be built to fix this.

I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble, but my last TeleSculptor release
may have a working kwiver with ffmpeg in it.  I know I have FFMPEG, but
haven't tested the kwiver tool.  There are binaries built for Ubuntu
18.04.  They were built in a Docker container but are not distributed that
way (because it's mostly a Qt GUI).  The installer has all the binaries in
it.  You could try this, but I wouldn't waste too much time on it if it
doesn't work.
https://github.com/Kitware/TeleSculptor/releases/tag/v1.1.1

Even more crazy: you might be able to take the plugin binary from the
TeleSculptor package and drop it into your KWIVER Docker image
lib/kwiver/modules/kwiver_algo_ffmpeg_plugin.so

It's a long shot (library rpaths may not match), but it might work.  The
Docker image likely has FFMPEG libraries, just not the KWIVER plugin.

--Matt

On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 1:08 PM Bane Sullivan <bane.sullivan at kitware.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Matt and David, this route forward sounds good to me and I’ll look
> forward to a new release with ffmpeg set up and working in the coming days.
>
> In the meantime, is there a way I can fix this with the currently release
> Docker image? David, you mention that you typically need explicitly turn on
> ffmpeg, do you have instructions on how to do that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bane
>
> *Bane Sullivan*
> *R&D Engineer*
> *Kitware Inc.*
> *https://www.kitware.com/bane-sullivan/*
> <https://www.kitware.com/bane-sullivan/>
> On Sep 4, 2020, 11:01 AM -0600, David Stoup <david.stoup at kitware.com>,
> wrote:
>
> Yes, agree with everything you said here. I will (have someone) pull all
> this together in the next few days and try to get it done in an order to
> get Bane and others off the side of the road quickly Hopefully we can do
> something quickly for a start this afternoon.
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:56 PM Matt Leotta <matt.leotta at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>
>> That all makes sense to me.  The FFMPEG arrow is now stable and the
>> preferred way to access video, so it should certainly be enabled by default
>> if FFMPEG is available.
>>
>> I think Docker is an increasingly important way of distributing and
>> integrating KWIVER into other systems.  I'm in favor of more regular builds.
>>
>> There have been several important bug fixes in KWIVER since the last
>> release.  I'm thinking we should make a new patch release soon from the
>> release branch.  I would argue that missing FFMPEG in Docker is a bug that
>> we should back port to the release branch so that the next release of
>> KWIVER has working tools.
>>
>> --Matt
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 12:45 PM David Stoup <david.stoup at kitware.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I think you're right Matt, we should update the Docker images. Also,
>>> FFmpeg is one of the few arrows that doesn't enable automatically when the
>>> package is found. I always need to explicitly turn that one on. I would
>>> argue that for consistency, that should be fixed as well.
>>>
>>> I don't know that anyone is responsible/tasked for updating Docker
>>> containers per se, but Taylor has often done it for releases. We might
>>> consider a nightly 'master' flavor that gets pushed from a successful
>>> nightly dashboard run. I can look into making that happen as well if it
>>> makes sense to you.

>>> --
>>> David Stoup
>>> Principal Engineer