[Kwiver-users] Detected object set sorted by confidence

Linus Sherrill linus.sherrill at kitware.com
Tue Mar 12 16:34:11 EDT 2019

 You are correct, hat the comment is no longer correct and should be
removed. There was a time when the elements were sorted by default. Now the
elements can be retrieved in an ordered fashion using the select() methods
and are only sorted on request.

-Linus

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:18 PM Matt Brown via Kwiver-users <
kwiver-users at public.kitware.com> wrote:

> I notice that the documentation for *detected_object_set* says "detections
> are ordered on their basic confidence value."
> <https://github.com/Kitware/kwiver/blob/master/vital/types/detected_object_set.h#L61>
> I'm not quite sure what is meant by "basic confidence value" or the full
> implications for cases where a detection has a confidence for multiple
> classes.
>
> An example where this becomes a problem is my current debugging of a
> non-maximum suppression filter, which tries to identify overlapping
> detections and only take the highest-confidence one. The current non-max
> filter assumes the detections in *detected_object_set* are sorted by
> confidence, and as it loops over the set, if there is bounding box overlap,
> the detection earlier in the set wins. The problem is, the *detected_object_set
> *will at most be sorted on one class's confidence, and I believe there
> are several examples already where other algorithms add or merge sets
> without enforcing that they remain sorted. In fact, the add function
> <https://github.com/Kitware/kwiver/blob/master/vital/types/detected_object_set.cxx#L121>
> for *detected_object_set* itself just appends to the end of the vector.
>
> My suggestion is that we remove the specification that
> *detected_object_set* is sorted by confidence. This makes sense, at least
> nominally, since a set implies an unordered group (versus a list, tuple,
> vector, etc.). Otherwise, I think we'd need a way to ask
> *detected_object_set* if it is sorted on a particular class,
>
> Best,
> Matt

*Linus Sherrill*
Facility Security Officer
Kitware, Inc.
1712 Route 9, Suite 300
Clifton Park, NY 12065
E: linus.sherrill at kitware.com
P: 518.881.4400

it is addressed and may contain privileged material.  Any review,
reliance upon this information, by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the
sender immediately and destroy the e-mail.