[Kwiver-users] Bounding Box Issues

Roddy Collins roddy.collins at kitware.com
Mon Mar 11 10:57:37 EDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Matt Brown via Kwiver-users <
kwiver-users at public.kitware.com> wrote:

> intersection() could throw a warning that one of the boxes is empty, but
>> it should still return 0 intersection area, I would think.
>>
> The issue is, intersection() returns a bounding box, not an area. So there
> isn't a clear ideal way to return a bounding box that properly encodes
> "empty." Right now, it returns a bounding box with all properties populated
> in an undefined manner.

vgl_intersection returns an empty box, which is always min(x,y)=1,
max(x,y)=0; vgl_box_2d's implementation of is_empty() returns true whenever
the min coordinates are less than the max.

Given how often vgl_intersection appears in our legacy code (probably other
vgl code as well), would it make sense to copy over the tests from vgl to
make sure the semantics are the same?

-Roddy