[Kwiver-users] Bounding Box Issues

Matt Brown matt.brown at kitware.com
Mon Mar 11 10:46:03 EDT 2019

> intersection() could throw a warning that one of the boxes is empty, but
> it should still return 0 intersection area, I would think.

The issue is, intersection() returns a bounding box, not an area. So there
isn't a clear ideal way to return a bounding box that properly encodes
"empty." Right now, it returns a bounding box with all properties populated
in an undefined manner.

> Is there a reason to utilize bounding_box class to also support boxes that
> are not axis aligned, which is all Eigen::AlignBox supports?

I think non-axis-aligned bounding boxes might have utility in the future,
but bounding_box is currently configured to only specify axis-aligned
boxes. So, we would have to completely redefine the interface to
bounding_box to support non-axis-aligned boxes.

~Matt