[Kwiver-users] Time logging in KWIVER

Linus Sherrill linus.sherrill at kitware.com
Wed Nov 15 13:14:51 EST 2017

The current process instrumentation support is functional and I is in
master. Most of the processes have been modified to implement the
instrumentation calls. The logger instrumentation provider just log
messages at the start and end events for each process entry. A new
implementation could be created that would give elapsed (CPU or other) time
for the process method.

Maybe this is the time to revive the RightTrack application and use that
for timing analysis. It has been languishing for quite a while and could
use some UI and functional improvements.

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 1:05 PM, Matt Brown <matt.brown at kitware.com> wrote:

> I found Linus' response from a previous question:
>

>> There is some emerging technology (read somewhat under used and under
>> tested) that can instrument processes. The support is in current master
>> branch, but there is a branch where I started adding the instrumentation
>> calls.
>> branch: dev/add-process-instrumentation
>>
>> Unfortunately the instrumentation is invasive and requires modification
>> of the processes but the overhead is minimal if instrumentation is not
>> enabled.
>> Once the instrumentation calls are added, it can be activated on a per
>> process basis via the process config in the pipe file.
>>
>>   process my_process
>>     :: my_process_type
>>     _instrumentation:type = logger
>>
>> The above will enable the logger style instrumentation which generates a
>> log message for each start_*_processing() and stop_*_processing() call.
>> There is another one that uses RightTrack to generate execution
>> time-lines for the processes, but that approach requires building an
>> external package and other integration issues. This one has not been used
>> is a while.
>

> Is the approach we are going to move toward? How ready is it currently?
>
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Matthew Leotta <matt.leotta at kitware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Linus should chime in here.  There is an instrumentation framework for
>> exactly this sort of pipeline timing analysis.  Linus know the most about
>> this.
>>
>> —Matt
>>
>> On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:48 PM, Matt Brown <matt.brown at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> We should generally not be using wall clock timing for performance
>>> measurement.
>>>

>> Aren't there instances where wall clock time is relevant (e.g., total
>> latency)? In a pipeline, where processing gets blocked until something
>> finishes, it can be helpful to identify bottle necks.

*Linus Sherrill - *Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662