[Kwiver-users] Pipeline timing information

Linus Sherrill linus.sherrill at kitware.com
Mon Aug 28 12:57:11 EDT 2017

There is some emerging technology (read somewhat under used and under
tested) that can instrument processes. The support is in current master
branch, but there is a branch where I started adding the instrumentation
calls.
branch: dev/add-process-instrumentation

Unfortunately the instrumentation is invasive and requires modification of
the processes but the overhead is minimal if instrumentation is not enabled.
Once the instrumentation calls are added, it can be activated on a per
process basis via the process config in the pipe file.

  process my_process
    :: my_process_type
    _instrumentation:type = logger

The above will enable the logger style instrumentation which generates a
log message for each start_*_processing() and stop_*_processing() call.
There is another one that uses RightTrack to generate execution time-lines
for the processes, but that approach requires building an external package
and other integration issues. This one has not been used is a while.

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Matt Brown <matt.brown at kitware.com> wrote:

> I am using a Sprokit pipeline for a near-real-time application, and it is
> important to understand the latencies of the different processes. Is there
> any existing or in the works to provide pipeline profiling? I am currently
> just adding LOG_DEBUG messages with timing information.

*Linus Sherrill - *Staff R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park, NY 12065-8662