[Kiwiviewer] VERTEXES LIMIT

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Thu Oct 10 22:00:56 EDT 2013

Hi there,

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 8:55 PM, 高宇 <fightrain at 126.com> wrote:

> Dear Aashish:
>         I find that the latest version of VES is more fast than the past
> version which is released before march 2013.
>         There is an limit of 65000 vertexes in the old version.

We add a code which checks for an extension that allows us to use unsigned
int as the data type for the indices which can support a large range of
indices vs unsigned short. iPad and other
earlier devices didn't support this extension which forced us to split the
geometry. Also even when we were under 65K but close to it, these devices
didn't perform well mostly because of their driver issues.

> I want to know the reason why it become so fast now when I load a big file
> with far more vertexes than 65000.
>         Did you change the rendering strategy?   or  the openGL ES
> upedated?  or  the new IOS change the implementation of openGL?

Now most of the devices support this extension and therefore no longer we
need to split the geometry. No splitting, better drivers, hardware and
therefore good performance.

- Aashish