[ITK-users] RFI on the NLM Strategic Plan

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Sat Dec 17 12:01:10 EST 2016

Hi,

The National Library of Medicine (NLM) has driven open science and
reproducible research long before the recent surge in popularity of
the movement. Not only did the NLM start the Insight Toolkit (ITK)
project in 1999, but it has continuously enabled it to thrive by
supporting community development, maintenance, and algorithmic and
technological advances to this day [1] [2].

Open science needs active communities, supported communities,
standards, open-source tools, strong ties will commercial / clinical
efforts, high-quality practices, transparency, and more - and those
are exactly the strengths of our community's toolkits, applications,
and projects. We should to encourage the NLM (NIH, DHHS, US
Government) to continue to prioritize these efforts via their funding.

The NLM has called for Request for Information (RFI) on the strategic
plan for the institute:

  https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-LM-17-002.html

that is due by January 9th. Please consider letting the NLM know how
important their role is in open science and open source.

Thanks,
Matt

[1] https://itk.org/ITK/project/about.html

[2] http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fninf.2014.00013/full