[ITK-users] speed function for itkSpeedToPathFilter

Prashanth prashanth.dumpuri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 17:22:23 EDT 2015

All,

I'm working on finding the shortest path between two points in a vessel
tree. itkSpeedToPathFilter seems to be working well for me as long as I
select the right speed function. Digging through Insight Journal, I found a
link to Deschamp's Ph.D. thesis (
https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/45537/filename/index.html)
which outlines one method to select a speed function:

1. Approximate centerline based on the input image
2. Segmentation using the approximate centerline
3. Use the segmented image and approximate centerline to create an image
with signed distances to the approximate centerline
4. Use the above image as the  input speed function for itkSpeedToPathFilter

The above steps seem to work (I say 'seem to work' because I tested it just
three 2D images so far), but are there other methods to select the speed
function? My input images are contrast enhanced CT images and the vessels
are easy to identify and segment. Any help on how to select the correct
speed function will be appreciated.

Thanks
Prashanth