[ITK-users] Otsu Filter for object/background separation

Zein Salah zeinsalah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 07:43:03 EST 2014

Hello,

I have been using the otsu filter for doing object-from-background
separation. However, I noticed that the filter always comes out with an
separation threshold, even if the image does NOT actually have a
"reasonable" background, see the attached image, e.g..

My question is: is it possible to control the filter in such a way that it
only generate a threshold if there is really a background?

Practically, I could, in a post-processing step,  do a decision weather the
separation is feasible or not, e.g. computing the comparing the statistics
of the two separated areas (average intensity, variance, etc.). But I
thought the otsu filter already does such things internally, right? Is it
possible to inquire such data from the filter?

Any ideas would be welcome!!

Much thanks,

Zein