[ITK-users] Suggestions about Python wrapping of cpp project

vincent ngai vincent.ngai at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:18:17 EDT 2014

I'm no expert, but previously when I worked on projects where we exposed
almost all core functionalities via scripts, it seemed like a good
initially, but what really happened is a shifting of complexities. Rather
than have the complexity on the C++/Compiled codebase side shifted over to
the scripts, in situation where you need to be able to change functionality
without recompiling the source, or even have access to the source, scripts
are the way to go. But shifting complexities to the runtime/script side has
its own issues, I'm happy with the C/C++ toolchain maturity, Visual C++,
GCC, GDB etc, you have very comprehensive debugging and editor facilities
available for C++, but on the script side you have far less tools, and
debugging may be a hassle.

Also for scripts that are scoped by whitespace/tabs and are not strictly
typed, we found that scripts exceeding 1/2 pages in length tend to be less
maintainable, and the chances of nuking a whitespace or overwriting a
variable gets higher.

Just my 2 cents

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM, Satyananda Kashyap <ksatyananda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for your expert opinions here. I have a relatively large C++
> project I am working on which uses ITK mainly (hence the question here) and
> to some extent VTK and OpenCV. I do think that my code is fairly well
> written. I was thinking of wrapping my code to python using either SWIG or
> boost.python. Here are my questions :
>

> 1. I am led to believe that prototyping and code development is much
> faster in Python. Given that I have such a big cpp base code is it really
> worth the effort to wrap into python and then continue there.
>
> 2. From what I have read ITK uses SWIG wrappings for wrapping into Python
> while VTK uses the boost.python route. My initial attempts with both have
> been relatively unsuccessful. Any opinion on which one is more user
> friendly/better when I have to wrap my own custom classes which use a
> combination of both ITK and VTK in them.
>
> 3. Any suggestion on a road map as to how to proceed. I am not sure at
> what base class level I should wrap them and rewrite the dependencies in
> python.
>
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Kashyap