[Insight-users] Performing manual segmentation of cell images

Kevin Keraudren kevin.keraudren10 at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Nov 30 08:24:37 EST 2013

Hi,

I would like to manually segment a few cell images in order to evaluate
an automated segmentation (for instance trace the cell boundaries and
the contour of the nuclei).

I usually do manual segmentations with ITK-snap on medical images, not
microscopy images, but I think it is overkill for PNG/TIFF images, and
not appropriate to handle classes: I would like to have the cytoplasm
and the nuclei classes, and assign labels of the form cytoplasm-1,
cytoplasm-2, cytoplasm-3,... and nuclei-1, nuclei-2, nuclei-3.
For my application, I would have more classes than just cytoplasm and
nuclei.

Would you know of a more appropriate program for this kind of manual
segmentation? In my mind it would be a tool that allow you to segment
the image with layers, as the layers of Photoshop or GIMP, and each
layer would correspond to a class.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Kind regards,

Kevin