[Insight-users] Flux driven medial curve - Multi thread

Sergio Aguirre sergio.aguirre at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 23:10:10 EDT 2013

Hi everyone.

I am exploring an algorithm published in the Insight Journal titled "Flux
Driven Medial Curve Extraction" -
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/165

Basically its a nice algorithm to extract centerlines of binary images
through a distance map.

I have successfully compiled and used it on ITK 4.3.1 by doing some slight
modifications. The algorithm has 2 classes of which I am interested in
multi-threading

itk::AverageOutwardFluxImageFilter (AOF)
itk::MedialCurveImageFilter (MCF)

Regarding the AOF, I was able to translate into a multi-threaded algorithm.

However, the MCF proves to be more challenging since it has to cycle
structures in the GenerateData call a FOR with the iterators and afterwards
a WHILE cycle with no iterators. Furthermore, there are several protected
methods that are called in both cycles that iterate through the image as
well.

Would this filter need a total re-do to be able to multi-thread it? Has
anyone attempted to use it in that way?

I would appreciate any insights.

Thank you,
Sergio