[Insight-users] Problems compiling ITK4.4 with Java wrapping

Mathew Guilfoyle mrguilfoyle at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 11:06:39 EDT 2013

Hi,

I would appreciate some pointers on compiling ITK 4.4 with the Java wrapper.

I have been using the SimpleITK Java binary successfully within Matlab but
want to try out some of the level set filters in ITK that are not yet
available in SimpleITK.  Since Matlab supports Java natively it would be
the easiest way of using ITK.

I am entirely new to the process of using Cmake and compiling with Visual
Studio 2012

System: Win 8 x64 Professional, Cmake 2.8.11.2, VS 2012 with all updates.

I have succesfully compiled ITK with the TESTING and EXAMPLES Cmake flags
off and BUILD_SHARED_LIBS on.  I find a ITKCommon-4.4.dll in the /bin/debug
subdirectory of my build folder.  Having said this I don't know exactly
what I should expect to find after a succesful build, but VS does not
report any errors.  (Incidental question - does the above dll contain all
the ITK functions?  Is there a header file for this?)

If I turn on the ITK_WRAP_JAVA flag I get a Cmake error:

CMake Error at Wrapping/Generators/Java/CMakeLists.txt:39 (list):

list sub-command REMOVE_ITEM requires list to be present.

As mentioned in another thread I've inspected the CMakeLists.txt in the
error message and there is a "To-do" comment! - is Java wrapping simply
broken currently?

NB Cmake correctly finds all elements of the JDK as far as I can see.

I have generated the build despite the above error and then run the
compilation in VS.  Everything works well for a while and then I get a
whole series of errors of the same form

Error 469 error MSB6006: "cmd.exe" exited with code 1. C:\Program Files
(x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V110\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets 172 5
ITKFastMarchingJavaJar

In each of these (481 in total) the file mentioned at the end is different
but otherwise the message is the same.

Can anyone direct me to a way of resolving this?

Cheers
Mat