[Insight-users] Split and Merge segmentation.

NicholasChoy ghost_choy at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 13 10:02:45 EDT 2013

What i mean from split and merge segmentation function,

Split function.
Is to develop a algorithm that recursively split regions into four
sub-regions (starting with the whole image as one region)(Like a Quadtree)
until our homogeneity criterion is met in all sub-regions.

(For any region Ri, which P(Ri) = False , we split it into four disjoint
quadrants.)

One idea of the homogeneity criterion is using the "mean" of the regions and
comparing each mean of the four sub-regions, if the difference is too far
from the specified value. It keeps going until it either reaches 1 pixel or
the mean difference is within the specified value range.

Merge function.
After process of splitting, merging process is to merge two adjacent
regions.
When no further splitting is possible, merge any adjacent regions Rj and Rk
for which P(Rj U Rk) = True.
Stop only if no further merging is possible.